problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04 (procps)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 11:06:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It's a menu option in Recovery mode. Basically it runs a script that
> attempts to fix broken packages & update the system. Given that you are
> at a cli console, you can actually run the same script from there. To
> see what it does:
>
> $ cat /lib/recovery-mode/options/dpkg
>
> To run directly from the cli:
>
> $ sudo /lib/recovery-mode/options/dpkg

I see, I understand better now.

I tried to use 'aptitude' in the /bin/bash session but it failed with
a 'Too many levels of symbolic links' error so I didn't give the
'dpkg' recovery option a try.

But looking for the above-mentioned error gave me a solution. [1]
Apparently the upgrade scripts messed up the /var/run and /run, making
each symlink to the other.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Sep  7 13:57 /var/run -> /run
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Sep  5 18:13 /run -> /var/run

It looks like this was the reason that /var/run couldn't be mounted at
boot time. Following the comment #9 in [1], namely:
$ cd /
$ sudo rm run
$ sudo mkdir -p run

Once I did this, booting went fine in both recovery and graphical modes.
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager-core/+bug/908614

So all in all I have a bootable Precise now. Thanks!

Now, from all the ordeal that I've been through, is there anything
worth reporting on Launchpad?

Regards
Liviu