Setting up X to uses gpm setup? - SOLVED

Csányi Pál csanyipal at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 07:04:30 UTC 2012

csanyipal at gmail.com (Csányi Pál) writes:

> I have just installed Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS and used Unity.
>
> After a while I changed Desktop environment to Window Maker (my favorite
> anvironment) and I must to setup manually keyboard layouts on console
> (no graphical environment) and X Window.
>
> I must purge unity and related packages so I now get X by running
> startx. It's good for me.
>
> But I haven't success so far in the mice setup.
>
> On console I'm using the 'gpm' and it works fine.
>
> When I used Debian system I have a setup there that works and I used gpm
> settings for mice in X environment too.
>
> The gpm settings are:
> device=/dev/input/mice
> responsiveness=
> repeat_type=ms3
> type=exps2
> append='-B 32145'
> sample_rate=
>
> in the /etc/gpm.conf file.
>
> As one can see my mice have setup for left hand.
>
> On Debian system this setup just works so I get the left hended mice in
> X environment too, but on Ubuntu this isn't the case.

> So I don't understand which setup has my mice in X?
> Why can't I get in X environment the gpm setup of my mice?

The question is wrong because no one can setup X to uses the gpm
configuration.

I forgot that that on Debian I setup my mice to be lefthanded with the
following line in ~/.xinit file:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1 4 5"

and after that line is the line
wmaker

that starts Window Maker window manager.

--
Regards from Pal