new video card problems

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Fri Sep 7 18:06:51 UTC 2012

On 09/07/2012 11:36 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

< snip >

> You'll find the driver(s) here:
>
> http://www.geforce.com/drivers
>
> but with Ubuntu you need to go thru hoops in order to get a driver from
> nVidia to work.
>
> Why? Because to compile it yourself you need to have a few files
> installed which are not easy to do in Ubuntu because Ubuntu doesn't like
> you messing around and doing things for yourself. So, stick with the
> driver you find in the Additional Drivers menu you see in Ubuntu. It is
> the one shown there as 'recommended, or some such, and you are asked if
> you want to Activate it. Activate it and the default nouveau driver will
> be replaced.
>
> However, if you really and truly want to compile your own and be
> up-to-date then look here:
>
> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=004599128559784038176%3Avj_p0xo-nng&ie=UTF-8&q=compiling+nvidia+driver&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=compiling%20nvidia%20driver&gsc.page=1
>

> BC

I tried "Additional drivers" and I got some nonsense. It said...

*****
Downloading package indexes failed, please check your network status.
Most drivers will not be available.
*****

The nonsense is that my network is running just fine!   What's that all
about?  By the way, it proceeded to do a search (presumably of the
network) and found nothing.  It looks like I might have to install those
drivers manually.  Before I try to do so, is there anything else I can
try?  It's funny that Doug said he had the same video card and it worked
just fine.  Was Doug's video card in his computer at install time?
Maybe the difference is that I am trying to install new video card drivers.

Bill Stanley