problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 11:07:15 UTC 2012

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 04:03:19PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>> Can you try
>>>
>>>   apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal update-manager-core vim-gnome
>>>   apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal python2.7 libpython2.7 libperl5.14 tcl8.5
>>> It'll most likely fail with an slightly different error message, but
>>> maybe we'll discover (eventually) why apt fails to resolve the
>>> dependencies.
>> I tried both of those and attached the logs at
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/32
>
> Ok, that looks like the wrong path to take.  Clearly listing all the
> packages it fails to install by hand is not going to work.
>
> I'm now looking at the bug comments trying to find the error from
>
>   apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f
>
> and I don't see it.  Did you try this command?  Can you?
>
> Marius Gedminas

Woohoo! You're a genius Marius (or else it will all end in tears :) )

I haven't run that particular variation before - haven't seen it
anywhere AFAIK and nobody's asked me to run it. Anyway it's now doing a
lot of unpacking and replacing and processing so hopefully it is making
some progress. More later when it finishes.