problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04 (procps)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 09:06:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> the logs in your blogpost show that you serem to have installed a
>> third party package from some PPA that wasnt properly packaged
>> according to debian standards (PPAs should really be used with care) ...
>
> Oliver, the upgrade process is "supposed" to disable all ppa's prior to
> the upgrade. Those should show something along the lines of " disabled
> on upgrade to <revision>".

As far as I can tell the 'sources.list' is clean. See [1].
[1] http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190321/

> @ liviu: <http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187465/>
> ====
> run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools
> 3.2.0-30-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-30-generic
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-30-generic
> W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
>
> gzip: stdout: No space left on device
> ====
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gzip%3A+stdout%3A+No+space+left+on+device>

No, that's no longer a problem. I've already dealt with this, and it
only concerned the separate 'boot' partition. I removed some of the
older kernels and now there are no longer any space issues: [2].
[2] http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190322/

It seems to me that the core problem revolves around the:
"initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
 /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
 start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
 /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
 invoke-rc.d: initscript procps, action "start" failed."

error message, but I'm not sure how to deal with it. There is a bug
that is supposed to have dealt with this, [3] but I obviously still
get this issue in Precise.
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/procps/+bug/602896

Some more on this.. I've finally managed to boot the 3.2.0 kernel
(*not* a chroot) to a console by replacing the kernel parameters:
ro single

with
rw single init=/bin/bash

So now I can boot Precise to a console with rw permissions on /. [4]
However installing 'procps' or 'cron' fail with the exact same error
message: "Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused". This suggests to me that the
whole upstart/initctl/invoke-rc.d machinery hasn't been initialized in
the session and the install scripts for several packages fail because
of that.

If I try the following I get an error message:
# start procps
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

If I try the following I also get an error message:
# upstart-socket-bridge
upstart-socket-bridge: Couldn't connect to Upstart: Failed to connect
to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

Does anyone know how to initialize the upstart/initctl/invoke-rc.d
machinery in an Ubuntu session?

Anyways, here is an updated list of log files reflecting the current
state of the machine:
  cat /var/log/dist-upgrade/ : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187299/
  dpkg --configure -a : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190416/
  apt-get -fy install : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190423/