problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 6 17:26:23 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 07:49 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> - Run through these commands in the exact order provided:
>>>
>>> a. apt-get install update-manager-core
>>
>> This fails with a long list of dependency problems followed by
>>
>>  E: Unmet dependencies, Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
>> specify a solution).

OK.

>> I'm not sure whether you expect that and I should carry on with steps
>> b,c,d etc but given what you say about repeating steps I'll carry on and
>> see if things do eventually settle down.
>>
>>> b. apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
>>> c. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>>> d. apt-get install -- reinstall ubuntu-desktop lubuntu-desktop
>
> I assumed the space between -- and reinstall was a typo.

It was - thanks for the catch.

>>> Note: the 'lubuntu-desktop' is because you installed ldxe - you can
>>> leave it off if you wish, but ensure that you 'install --reinstall
>>> ubuntu-desktop'.)
>>> e. apt-get -f install
>>> f. dpkg --configure -a
>
> I got as far as here with every command giving errors. One thing I'm not
> clear about is when apt-get finishes by saying "E:..whatever.." has it
> actually done anything? The man page says nothing about the output.

It tried but failed. I will install 10.04 on a test system & see if I
can get it to fail in the same manner. Copy & paste the output of the
following to http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Note: to use pastebin, just paste in the content box, put a name (any
name) in the Poster box, click 'Paste!' and post the resulting url here.
Example:
<http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1189309/>

Note: I realise that you mentioned to Marius:
> > What's the content of your /etc/apt/sources.list?  It should be
> > mentioning 'precise', not 'lucid'.

All the enabled repositories are for precise.

but in order to try to reproduce I'll need to duplicate your
sources.list on my machine. So please past the full
/etc/apt/sources.list on pastebin.ubuntu.com. Thanks.