Questions and help requested for Ubuntu 12.04.1 Classic Gnome Desktop Settings

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 16:20:36 UTC 2012

On 6 September 2012 17:13, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Liam I have a question that fits right into this thread. My hardware can't
> support unity.

If you run 12.04 (or the previous version) and you don't have a 3D
card for normal Unity, you get Unity-2D instead. It looks and works
pretty much identically.

> I miss the terminal for loading programs
>  and drivers.

All versions of Ubuntu still have a terminal. Either press the Windows
key, or the top icon in the Launcher with the Ubuntu logo, and type
"terminal" and the icon will appear - actually, "ter" is probably
enough.

Or, just press Ctrl-Alt-t.

> Do you think those programs will all go to PPA to compensate.

Most of the components that are no longer installed by default with
Ubuntu are still in the standard repositories. You don't need PPAs.

For instance, the Pidgin chat client (which I personally prefer) is no
longer installed and Empathy has replaced it. You can still install
Pidgin by typing

sudo apt-get install pidgin

... Or by entering "Pidgin" in the Software Centre.

Ditto Evolution, which has been replaced by Thunderbird.

But not many programs have been removed - certainly things like the
Terminal are still there.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884