problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04 (procps)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 15:18:14 UTC 2012

Hello

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> the logs in your blogpost show that you serem to have installed a
> third party package from some PPA that wasnt properly packaged
> according to debian standards (PPAs should really be used with care) ...
>
> try to remove all traces of the handbrake packages your apt complains
> about using dpkg -r and see if that improves things ... due to
> handbrake behaving evil in your system the upgrade of your upstart
> (init) could not finish, getting that in order again will be a little
> harder though ...

I removed the handbrake* packages so that now dpkg doesn't complain
about handbrake related errors. But I'm not sure that this is what is
blocking the upgrade. I get the same error messages minus the
'handbrake' parts:
Setting up procps (1:3.2.8-11ubuntu6) ...
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
invoke-rc.d: initscript procps, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing procps (--configure):
[..]

Could this be happening because I am operating Ubuntu from a chroot
environment? In addition to chrooting, should I somehow initialize
something Ubuntu specific? (See '/com/ubuntu/upstart' above.)

Regards
Liviu