problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 13:04:05 UTC 2012

NoOp wrote:
 > Here is what I recommend (backup & the standard 'if you break it you pay
> for it' applies):

OK here goes ...

> - reboot & login with recovery mode

I don't know what to expect here. I rebooted and selected recovery mode
in the grub menu. It gave me a text boot scroll-by with some errors and
then asked for the root password to enter maintenance mode. I gave that
and had a console session. There's no 'network' command (or indeed 'cnf'
command) and there are no menus, which is also not described at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode so I thought perhaps I should type
CTRL-D. So I did and got another bunch of text boot scroll by with
errors that eventually asked me to login. I logged in as root and now
have a console session and I can ping other machines so presumably the
network is active. But I still have no menu.

So this isn't the situation that either you or the wiki page describe so
I'm not going to carry on with the apt-get commands but will instead
post this and wait a while to see if you think I should carry on or try
something different.