Silly question relating to graphics cards?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed Sep 5 10:47:36 UTC 2012

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not afraid to ask!

Sort of related to my troubles with LibreOffice.

Why is it that the only PCI-E graphics cards available seem to be either
Nvidia or ATI based?

When I run jockey-gtk on this desktop with the nvidia card, sure enough
it lists proprietary drivers.

When I run it on my lovely little Toshiba NB520 it's blank - "no
proprietary drivers installed" and everything works beautifully - even
the SD card reader slot.

Now for the potentially silly question - I know that the graphics in the
NB520 is Intel, so why isn't there an Intel based PCI-E graphics card
for putting into desktop computers?

Dave