Installing on an old Eee PC 900

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Oct 29 09:55:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 08:09:01PM +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Well, Lubuntu is not the subject of this thread, that's why.
>
> But I can at least say that one of the many problems is that the
> update manager doesn't seem to work very good. Every time I try to
> update, it says that some daemon died. I'm not sure which one, but I
> can check it out if someone in interested. There are 152 updates
> waiting at the moment… Maybe I can update in the gnome terminal
> instead, I didn't try that.
>
> And before that happened the first time, I was told that there was not
> enough disk space (SSD) for updating. Maybe that was true, I didn't
> check it out any further.

With a 1Gb SSD (I think that's what you said) you're going to find it
very difficult to successfully get *any* distribution to update itself
successfully.

I have a similar small eeePc but with a 2Gb SSD, I found that virtually
no full GUI installation could be maintained on that.  I currently run
it as a server system with just the Ubuntu Base installation plus a few
extras.  Even then I have to be quite careful to remove old Linux
kernels as it updates or it runs into the "can't update because there's
not enough space" situation.  At present it runs with between 60% and
70% disk usage which gives adequate (but not *very* adequate) space for
keeping it updated.

So, what I'm saying is, that a GUI Linux distribution simply isn't going
to work on a 1Gb SSD system.

--
Chris Green