Downgrading from Ubuntu 12.10 to 12.04 LTS?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Oct 29 08:43:44 UTC 2012

Csányi Pál wrote:
> I just upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 12.10 but found it buggy.
>
> Can I downgrade from Ubuntu 12.10 to 12.04 LTS safely?

Well, if 12.10 is buggy for you, then going back to 12.04 would be an
upgrade, not a downgrade. :)

More seriously: this is not a route supported by Ubuntu, so there is no
safe way. You could do a fresh install of 12.04 and keep the data in
your /home directory if you select manual partitioning and select the
currently used partition(s) but NOT format them. And there is another
problem here: Some of the applications you have already used with 12.10
may have overwritten their config files with a newer version which is
incompatible with the older versions of the application coming with
12.04. That may then lead to problems with these applications.

Nils