Installing on an old Eee PC 900

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 13:40:49 UTC 2012

2012/10/27 Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski at vp.pl>:
> Użytkownik Johnny Rosenberg napisał:
>
>> What is the lightest/fastest Debian based Gnome distribution out there?
>> I want Gnome 3 but no Gnome shell.
>

> Gnome shell is part of Gnome 3

Strange, because I have Ubuntu 12.04 right now, and it seems to have
Gnome 3 but no Gnome shell, so at least it seems to be optional… And
if Gnome shell is optional, I suppose Unity also is. Therefore,
wouldn't it be possible to install Gnome 3 replacing Gnome shell with,
for example, the Gnome panel?
I just though that Gnome shell is a shell for Gnome, hence the name,
isn't that right?

>> I want to install it on my Eee PC 900 which is a pretty slow machine.
>> I have two of them, one of them is broken (I accidently broke the
>> screen), so I will move its memory to the non-broken one, so I hope
>> that will allow me to have 2 GB internal RAM instead of only 1 GB.
>> Processor speed is only 1 GHz, and there's only one core.
>>

> try xubuntu

No Gnome in Xubuntu as far as I know. And I don't like XFCE (or any of
the other lightweight desktops I've seen so far). I don't want the
lightest possible operating system, I want the lightest possible
Debian based (or at least Debian compatible) Gnome distribution.
That's quite different, I think.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ