Ckermit replacement

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 23 19:17:26 UTC 2012

I've been using kermit for dial in and file transfer for at
least 20 years. I noticed that Columbia University closed
down the project it 2011. Now that I have started using
12.04 LTS ckermit complains that it has the wrong version of
the OpenSSL it wants an older version of OpenSSL rather than
the version installed on the system. (It was installed via
synaptic package manager) Wondering if there is a different
program that does the same tasks as kermit?
             Linda