upgrading to 12.04.1 stalled

Udvarias Ur udvarias1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 15:24:44 UTC 2012

Folks,

I finally started my upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04.1 yesterday. This was
the first time I upgraded the OS, as opposed to individual packages or
applications. (I'll grant that when I installed the *Ubuntu* from an
11.04 disk it automatically asked me if wanted to upgrade to 11.10,
which was really fast so I expected it to be the same from 11.10 to
12.04.1.)

Though I usually watch the entire process of upgrades preformed by
*Update Manager*, as it does not provide an option to save a log of what
it does, I found that this upgrade was taking so long that I decide to
turn off the monitor (to save power) and go to bed. At one point during
the night I woke, so I got out of bed to check the progress of the upgrade.

I found that the upgrade had completed finished
        *Getting new packages*
and move on to
        *Installing the upgrades*
and that the *Terminal* was now available. So I open the *Terminal*. I
wanted to save the output on the *Terminal*, so I highlighted it all and
pressed Ctrl-c. I immediately got the dialogue box

          |                                                              |
          |    Ctrl-c pressed                                            |
          |                                                              |
          |    This will abort the operation and may leave the system in |
          |    a broken state. Are you sure you want to do this?         |
          |                                                              |
          |                                   +-------+    +-------+     |
          |                                   |  No   |    |  Yes  |     |
          |                                   +-------+    +-------+     |

The *No* button was highlighted, regardless I clicked on the *No* button
with the mouse. In my effort to save the output I did this another few
times thinking that I'd done it incorrectly, all to no avail.

The last line in the *Terminal* was:

            *Reading database ... 50%*

This did not change for some time so I decided to turn off the monitor
and go back to bed. When I checked the system on waking this still did
not change.

Now, I could restore the back-up image of the *Ubuntu* partition I made
before I initiated the upgrade and start all over. However, that would
mean another 4+ hours of *Getting new packages*, so if there is any way
I can get this upgrade working again I would prefer it.

Any ideas?

--
Udvarias Ur

This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux.