Install over LAN

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 20:18:51 UTC 2012

On 17 October 2012 19:47, Keith Clark <keithclark at waterloosubstop.com> wrote:
> I have an old P4 server here running two hard drives in a raid setup that
> I'd like to install Ubuntu.
>
> My present setup is DSL modem into an off the shelf commodity router.  I
> have a machine currently running Ubuntu 12.04.  The 'new' machine cannot
> boot from USB (only a USB-FDD option) and I don't have any media for the
> CD-ROM drive (although it is bootable.).  I realize I could just go buy a
> CDR and be done with it, but where would the fun be in that?
>
> Is it possible to install Ubuntu this way?  I have other devices that use
> the router's current DHCP function so I'd like to leave that the way it is.

I am a little confused as to which machine you want to reinstall here;
I cannot keep track of your use of "old" and "new".

Perhaps if you give them names or something it would be clearer?

If your machine cannot boot from USB and you cannot burn a CD or write
& boot from a floppy disk, then you are stuck, I think.

If you can use a CD or a floppy, the PLOP boot manager will probably
let your machine boot from USB even if the BIOS doesn't support it.
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/full.html

No, you can't install over the network, not as far as I know. It is
possible with some servers and things but it is complicated and I've
never done it on PC kit. On Sun SPARCstations, yes. :¬)

N.B. what kind of RAID array is it? If it is a firmware or software
RAID, it might not work under Ubuntu.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884