interested in the pros and cons of gnome-disk-utility as opposed to gparted

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:05:19 UTC 2012

On 17 October 2012 14:59, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using gparted for a long time.  Then today I saw a reference
> to "disk-utility" (aka palimpsest) that seems similar.  Both seem to
> be GNOME-based.  After a quick google, it's not clear that palimpsest
> offers me anything I don't already have, but I'm willing to be
> educated.
>
> Anybody care to enlighten me?

Totally different tools.

GDiskUtil is a read-only (AFAIK) status-viewing-and-monitoring tool.
It's quite handy for viewing what's going on, including hardware model
numbers and so on.

GParted is for modifying partitions and won't tell you about the
hardware specs of your disks or controllers.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884