Ubuntu Secrets Guide?

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Wed Oct 17 09:20:15 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-17 10:48, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Back in the day, before I discovered the wonders of Linux, around the
> mid 90s, I used to read 1000 pages guides by IDG called "Windows 95
> Secrets" - books that went deep into details on configuring and
> tweaking Windows, even in the registry.
>
> I am looking for a similar guide for Ubuntu. A guide that explains
> the
> role of each configuration file, so I can tweak it to my needs. For
> example: to change the Update Manager interval, I need to edit the
> /etc/cron.daily/apt file. Where do I find tips like that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amichai.

Well Ubuntu does not really have any secrets because it doesn't have
any obfuscated registry settings ;-)

Most things can be found in the online help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/   <- official documentation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community  <- community documentation

Also, a lot of the general Linux documentation applies to Ubuntu.

And if you cannot find an answer to your question you can always
consult this mailing list.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman