samba question moving to LTS 12.04

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 16 17:10:34 UTC 2012

Here is the original smb.conf file

[global]
     ; General server settings
     netbios name = sun
     server string =
     workgroup = OFFICE
     announce version = 5.0
     socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

;   passdb backend = tdbsam
     security = user
     null passwords = true
     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
     name resolve order = hosts wins bcast

     wins support = yes

     printing = CUPS
     printcap name = CUPS

     syslog = 1
     syslog only = yes

     browseable = yes

; NOTE: If you need access to the user home directories
uncomment the
; lines below and adjust the settings to your hearts content.
[homes]
     valid users = %S
     create mode = 0600
     directory mode = 0755
     browseable = yes
     read only = no
     veto files = /*.{*}/.*/mail/bin/

; NOTE: Inside this place you may build a printer driver
repository for
; Windows - I'll cover this topic in another HOWTO.
[print$]
     path = /var/lib/samba/printers
     browseable = yes
     guest ok = yes
     read only = no
     write list = root
     create mask = 0664
     directory mask = 0775

[printers]
     path = /tmp
     printable = yes
     guest ok = yes
     browseable = yes
     use client driver = yes

[webpage]
     path = /usr/local/lib/webpage/
     browseable = yes
     read only = yes
     guest ok = yes

[letters]
     path = /usr/local/lib/letters/
     create mode = 0660
     directory mode = 0775
     browseable = yes
     read only = no
     veto files = /mail/bin/

[Master-Forms]
     path = /usr/local/lib/Master-Forms/
     create mode = 0660
     directory mode = 0775
     browseable = yes
     read only = no
     veto files = /mail/bin/

[Corel-Files]
     path = /opt/Corel-Files/
     create mode = 0660
     directory mode = 0775
     browseable = yes
     read only = no
     veto files = /mail/bin/

I also tried adding the following lines I found when
searching online to global in hopes it would help but it
didn't solve the problem
dns proxy = no
name resolve order = lmhosts wins host
interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.1.0/24

Thanks
   Linda