installing ati/amd graphics driver blacks out screen on 27 inch imac xubuntu

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:51:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 October 2012 17:20, Wes James <comptekki at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I tried to use ctrl-alt-f1 to get a console to log in to, but that didn't
>> work.  I tried all the ctrl-alt-f1 f2 f3, none worked.
>>
>> How do you get a console when X11 is running?
>
> Hmmm. That *ought* to work, AFAIK. I have only tried Ubuntu on PowerPC
> Macs, and then not much - I can't afford a Macintel - so I don't
> really know. Perhaps it's something to do with Apple's odd keyboard
> layout and the different functions that the function keys perform?

That's pretty universal and as you said "ought" to work.  I'd guess,
given similar behaviour on other machines, that it's not just a
"black" screen, but rather a locked up machine, or at least X locking
the CPU enough so that other key presses are enqueued and still
haven't gotten to yet (and likely never would have).