Using telnet on local network

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Oct 12 10:13:49 UTC 2012

On Friday 12 October 2012 06:04:45 Patrick Asselman did opine:

> On 2012-10-12 02:19, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or
> > less,
> > with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.
> >
> > However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when
> > compared
> > to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.
> >
> > Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern
> > pc
> > keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?
> >
> > For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
> > machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected.  That is the sort of
> > translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.
> >
> > Is it?  And if so, how?
> >
> > Thanks all.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
> > --

> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
> > REST:
> > P:      Linus Torvalds
> > S:      Buried alive in email
> >
> > 		-- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS
>
> Hmmm I vaguely recall having those sorts of problems 10+ years ago,
> lol.
>
> Something like
>
> TERM=vt100
> export TERM
> stty erase ^H
>
> usually did the trick for me...

Humm, We have a vt100 proggy on the old machine, one I took apart and
rebuilt as a vt220 work-a-like.  I'll give this a shot, thanks.

It turns out the authors of the drivewire.jar have been hard at work, and
have some as yet un-published drivewire devices and descriptors that export
the old machines windowing system to the pc, which is completely different
from xterm, and we can now have fairly functional screens from that machine
that are usable on this linux box, and presumably on a winderz box too.

Sounds like I have been busy and missed all the chatter and need to play
catch up.

Thanks Patrick.

> Best regards,
> Patrick Asselman

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more
specific."
		-- Jane Wagner