Using telnet on local network

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Oct 12 00:50:47 UTC 2012

On 10/11/2012 08:19 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or less,
> with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.
>
> However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when compared
> to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.
>
> Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern pc
> keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?
>
> For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
> machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected.  That is the sort of
> translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.
>
> Is it?  And if so, how?

I forget how to do these kinds form things with a pure terminal, but
these kinds of options seem to be included with the modern GUI terminal
windows.  For example, if you run gnome-terminal, look in your Profile
Preferences Compatibility tab.  (Advanced tab in xfce4-terminal,)

In KDE Konsole, in the Profile Input tab, you want to use "Solaris console".

If you want some more under the hood hijinks, see here:
http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html