ubuntu12.04 upgrade: sendmail issue: send-mail: 501 5.5.4 Invalid domain name

ping songpingemail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:38:29 UTC 2012

On 10/10/2012 03:29 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski at vp.pl> wrote:
>> Wednesday 10 October 2012 18:03:37 ping napisał(a):
>>>
>>> folks/experts:
>>
>> please don't send html messages to the list
>
> Let's compare the Ubuntu and Debian policies regarding html email.
>
> Ubuntu:
> Avoid sending emails in HTML format, if possible.
>
> Debian:
> Never send your messages in HTML; use plain text instead.
>
> Unless and until Ubuntu changes its policy to look like Debian's,
> you're not entitled to make such a request.

I don't know how this happened, guess my TB was somehow changed to
HTML...here is a re-post in pure text:

folks/experts:

previously I had a really handy oneliner that works great for years:
#put this in ~/bin/test.sh
cat "$1" | uuencode "$1" | mail -s "file:$1, from ping's PC"

then I can send any file as email attachment from CLI,  within my
office, to any one.

but after upgrading to ubuntu12.04LTS, I noticed this tool is broken now:

    ping at 640g-laptop:~$ test.sh temp1.txt songpingemail at gmail.com
1) WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to:
/tmp/keyring-Gjbkfb/pkcs11: No such file or directory
2) send-mail: 501 5.5.4 Invalid domain name (ping at redroute.com)
3) Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 1

I'm thinking this might involve 2 issues here:

1) this "gnome-keyring" warning I seems saw also on other places, that I
previously never saw before upgrading.
2) ping at redroute.com is my default company mailbox, I think this is what
sendmail use as the "sender"'s emailbox
3) I'm doubting some of my files related to sendmail was replaced during
the upgrading, but I can't remember which files they are...

does anyone experienced the same issue and found any workaround? I
googled tons of links without seeing a clear clue...
thanks!

regards
ping