Small (SoHo) LAN, how to manage local DNS etc.?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Oct 10 08:38:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:51:42AM -0600, compdoc wrote:
> > Yes, but the issue now is that Ubuntu 12.04 is *already* running dsnmasq
> so running another dnsmasq isn't too clever.
>
> " Dnsmasq is a lightweight, easy to configure DNS forwarder and DHCP
> server."
>
> Is your Ubuntu 12.04 box running 24/7, and do you have all your clients
> pointing to it for DNS and DHCP?

I currently have a small server (running 12.04 server, no GUI, hence no dnsmasq
run by network manager) which provides DNS and DHCP.  Since this server
now does little else (except require my attention to keep it up to date
and configured) I'd really quite like to turn it off.  My desktop
machine also runs all the time so I can easily re-point all the DHCP and
DNS clients on my LAN to that instead.

--
Chris Green