GRUB badly broken during upgrade

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 9 16:59:56 UTC 2012

On 10/08/2012 09:47 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM, NoOp ...
>>
>> Why don't you just reinstall grub to whichever device(s) you boot to? I
>> fail to understand using SuperGrub et al when this list is full of
>> advise on how to simply reinstall grub/grub2 from a LiveCD. Ditto for
>> checking UUID's.
>
> Short answer: When I did that, I wound up with an unbootable
> configuration.  Or at least that's what I think happened.  It got
> pretty confusing with three (four?) different sources of GRUB and not
> knowing which one did what.  The advice I got here about GRUB did not
> prevent that.  I had tried installing GRUB from a 12.04.1 live disk
> too, and that did not help.  What eventually got me back in operation
> was a complete reinstall of 12.04.1, while leaving the 11.10
> unbootable but present.
>
> Sometimes, "just do it" does not work well.
>
> At the moment I have a system that sort of works,  but has a few
> quirks like an unbootable install.  At the moment, I'm trying to
> identify the details what the quirks are without stirring the pot in a
> way that will make this unbootable again.  I hope that with a better
> understanding, I'll be better prepared for any chaos that might
> ensue...

Sorry for being a grump... I'm in the process of updating my well tuned
11.04 desktop to 12.04 (because support for 11.04 goes away Oct 28). Now
I get to spend the next few days getting it back to 'semi' normal.

However,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#Reinstalling_GRUB_2
[via the LiveCD terminal]
Should work. If it does not, then you have other issues.

I've only had to use the 'via ChRoot' method once.
'Purging & Reinstalling GRUB 2' (never with GUI - only with terminal - I
avoid Boot Repair like the plauge) if all else.
When you reinstall, be sure to run the 'Post-Restoration Commands'
afterwards.

Here is information on grub rescue that Tom is asking for:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting>