Bluetooth: why no HS?

Steffen Becker steffen.becker at tu-ilmenau.de
Sun Oct 7 13:54:30 UTC 2012

Hi,
sorry for my bad english:
I have a windows PC and a virtual machine with two Ubuntu12.04 systems
in it.
I inserted two Bluetooth 3.0+HS Dongles in the PC and created
USB-filters in the virtual machine for these: as one bluetooth3.0+HS
dongle has two chips inside (one for bluetooth-, one for
802.11g-standard) I created a filter for Bluetooth and for 802.11g
adapter for each of my two Ubuntu systems.
After starting both Ubuntu systems parallel, each of them successfully
recognized the Bluetooth-adapter. Also the 802.11g-adapter was
recognized ("ifconfig" displayed a "wlan"-adapter).
So I tried to send some big data files over bluetooth between these two
virtual Ubuntu systems: This worked well, but only with Bluetooth-speed
(~2MBit/s) !
As I understood, Bluetooth3.0+HS should use the integrated
802.11g-adapter to send bigger data files with ~24 MBit/s.
What could I've done wrong? Why does bluetooth not use the
"Highspeed"-modus?

Regards,
Steffen

PS: I tried it with a 10 MB, 20 MB and 50 MB file (.mp3, .wav & .avi)