How to set up static IP in 12.04 and avoid these start-up delays?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Oct 4 14:31:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 10:23:17AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> >> You're quite right, the 0000debug didn't do any good so I have added the
> >> above (with the name of the script changed) to each script in if-up.d.
> >>
> >> ... listen to this space! :-)
> >
> > Here's the result (attached, it's a bit long), I can't see anything wrong.
>
> Your attachment looks like the output of the wpasupplicant script -
> and it looks OK. Is it the only one in "/etc/network/ifup.d/"?

If you look carefully it's the output from all the scripts in
/etc/network/ifup.d/.  There are:-
    avahi-daemon  openssh-server  postfix  upstart  wpasupplicant
in there.

> Before you follow Marius' debug suggestion (which is good), I'd
> correct the "broadcast" line "/etc/network/interfaces" (or delete it
> and the "network" line), comment out the eth1-related lines, and check
> whether the pause in your boot sequence's still there. If it still is,
> add debug lines to all the "/etc/network/ifup.d/" scripts and...

OK.

But what's wrong with the broadcast and network lines?

I've deleted them and commented out the USB/eth1 stuff, off I go to
reboot again!  :-)

--
Chris Green