can't run gnome as root - addition - SOLVED

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Wed Oct 3 09:49:28 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-02 18:56, compdoc wrote:
>> > why do i have to adapt the OS ? I think the OS should adapt
>> to the needs and wishes of the user as far as possible.
>
> Security needs change. 'root' is a well-known username so if its
> enabled and
> there's direct access from the web, it gives someone half the
> combination:
> they only have to guess at passwords rather than guessing at a
> username and
> password.
>
> All my servers are behind firewalls and there are no ports open to
> the world
> like ssh, which does give some protection. I used to enable the root
> account
> myself, but sudo is second nature now and no trouble at all.

As far as I'm aware, ssh does (by default) not allow root to login
anyway, so whether or not root is enabled on the box is irrelevant to
the ssh security. (If you have ever checked your ssh logs for an online
box, you will understand why this is disabled. (Of course a closed port
is much more secure)).

I've witnessed an (experienced!) unix user become very pale all of a
sudden. After confirming he didn't have some sort of stroke, it turned
out he had accidentally used an "rm *" and it took much longer than
expected... it turned out he was in a directory he wasn't expecting to
be in (i.e. / ). After that I became a convinced user of sudo :-)

Fortunately in this world most people are free to choose their own
slow-suicide method, be it smoking, drinking, driving a motorcycle
(guilty!) or using root. The question is: how much risk are you willing
to take, and how large are the consequences. The OP stated he is aware
of the risk, and I assume he is aware of the consequences, so that's
fine by me.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman