can't run gnome as root - addition

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:03:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>>
>> I work with unix-like OS's since 1971 when intrusion, theft, etc was
>> unthinkable but we never used root as a user. Don't forget: root is
>> omnipotent - just as each user in Windows when he has the knowledge,
>> (luckily 99 % doesn't) -.
>
> You may never have logged in root but I contracted at a company three
> years ago where practically all the admins telnet'd (not ssh'd) as
> root into all their boxes...

When I first moved to Ubuntu, I was annoyed by the lack of a root
password, but I worked with it.  Then the system had a problem during
boot, and I got dumped into a hell where fixing the problem needed the
(non-existent) root password.  I got around this and got the system
back running, but my annoyance limit had been reached.  My systems
have had a root password ever since, and I usually leave one workspace
populated by root terminals 24/7 and never regretted it.  I've never
needed to actually run the GUI as root.

I've personally owned Unix (SYSV or ESIX) or various Linux systems
since 1984, which probably explains my preferences.

My advice: set it up the way you want it, but don't complain that your
setup is not the default.  If you can't do that, maybe you have the
wrong software.

--
Kevin O'Gorman