remote access software

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 27 21:43:17 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 08:15 AM, Linda wrote:
> I was wondering what list users would recommend for remote
> access via internet of a computer that does not have a
> static IP addresses. I noticed looking around that both
> TeamViewer and LogMeIn  support Linux. Looking for away to
> do the equivalant of ssh and ssh -X in a mixed compter
> environment where the client accessing the remote server
> could be either Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Windows 7 or possibly an
> ipad.  Any recommendations or cavets would be greatly
> appreciated. Now that I have modem access working for all
> necessary functions I'm thinking about moving into the
> modern world and setting up something that would allow
> graphical remote use at a workable speed so I'm not tied to
> text based solutions.
>                 Thanks
>                   Linda

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS for the dynamic IP.

VNC - For Windows, I prefer UVNC:
<http://www.uvnc.com/>
Ubuntu alread has built in remote tools:
<http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Precise#Remote_Access>
==> <http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Precise#VNC>

For linux (including Windows to linux) where you don't need to view a
users session, but instead use a separate session, I very much prefer
NoMachine NX:
<http://www.nomachine.com/download.php>
==> <http://www.nomachine.com/select-package.php?os=linux&id=1>
==> <http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=3835>
==> <http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=3834>

If you'd prefer:
<http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Precise#FreeNX>

Note that NX uses SSH and is considerably more secure, faster, and
flexible than VNC. Connection speeds can easily be adjusted from
Modem/ISDN/ADSL/WAN/LAN.