How best to set up a separate /home partition, and pros/cons

John D. Herron paradox.herron at bluewin.ch
Tue Nov 27 07:02:29 UTC 2012

< big snip >

On 11/26/2012 05:44 AM, Felix Miata wrote:

> Not probably can, just can.
>
> Much easier with only one shared /home partition. Put Data, Music,
> Videos, etc. dirs in home's root, and share the same GID for all users
> and data that need that sharing regardless of distro and release. Keep
> the settings separated by using a different UID for $USERNAME for each
> distro and release. Finally, either set umask 002 in /etc/profile.local,
> and/or use access control lists. Some apps won't respect the umask, so
> on occasion you may need to fix perms on files written by such apps,
> chmodding regular files from the typical 644 -> rw-r--r-- to 664 ->
> rw-rw-r-- and dirs to g+w.
>
> For simply testing a release, there's little need to have a separate
> /home. If the test turns into a non-testing installation, add the
> separate /home to its fstab when the need arises.

Admittedly, this is all rather new territory to me.
My reasoning is that, as the sole user of my would-be multi-linux box,
it would make sense to open access to a separate /home (inclusive of not
only documents, pictures, downloads and the like, but Thunderbird and
Firefox /Chromium profiles and LO configuration files as well) to any
installed distros, which will very likely all be Debian-oriented.

Having backed up the current /home directory to two distinct external
USB disks (to put at ease my 'paranoia'), I'm inclined to follow Liam's
advice. This leaves a few questions open:

1)   Is the new /home partition best set up as a physical or logical
partition? There are currently only two partitions on the HDD: the one
that holds Ubuntu and a pre-installed 20 GB swap - see
http://www.UploadScreenshot.com/image/1691496/758289

2)   I suppose I should somehow move the contents of the current /home
dir to the new /home partition to be created and in time remove them
from the distro's structure?

3)   How should I go about making the new stand-alone /home partition
recognisable to the current Ubuntu distro first and then to any new distros?

4)   What is an 'access control list' and where is it to be found?

Thanks much to all for your help, which is greatly appreciated!
john