any decent instructions for installing current dokuwiki on 12.10?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 03:53:54 UTC 2012

> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>> On 11/25/2012 12:12 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>>     is there a decent recipe for installing an up-to-date version of
>>> dokuwiki on ubuntu 12.10?  the current repository version is fairly
>>> old (20110525), and the process of upgrading the older version after
>>> install is not issue-free.
>>>
>>>     eventually, i came across this:
>>>
>>> https://www.dokuwiki.org/install:ubuntu
>>>
>>> which makes it clear that there are issues but i won't have the chance
>>> to test it out for a few hours.
>>>
>>>     has anyone gone through this process and documented it somewhere?
>>
>> For major stuff like this, I use a virtualized dedicated Linux server. I use
>> Proxmox, (http://www.proxmox.com/) which uses a Debian Squeeze server. Then I
>> install turnkey linux containers, which are per-configured VM "containers =
>> complete package" , like DokuWiki and almost 100 other pre-configured
>> containers. It's ALL there.
>> http://www.turnkeylinux.org/dokuwiki
>
>    BTW, while i'm still going to take a shot at the above (turnkey
> linux), i'm still interested in whether anyone has a reliable recipe
> for installing current stable release of dokuwiki on ubuntu.  if i can
> nail down the recipe, i'd be happy to write it up and post it.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  i would especially like to install it in a "portable" way; that
> is, requiring as little hacking of system files as possible.  all of
> the configuration and data files under a directory in my home
> directory so i could easily move it elsewhere.  i realize i can do
> that with a VM so i'll be looking at that later today.  thanks again.

That's where the proxmox server comes in, IF you are running (or wish to
run) more than one major package virtualized on a dedicated headless
server. Proxmox handles all of the VM's and networking / memory and cpu
shares, etc. Using it, you install the Turnkey containers and
configuration is as minimal as it gets. Great for mouse pushers like me.
What was hard is made relatively easy. Plus, it'll scale up to
clustering of backup servers and auto fall-back to Amazon Servers, in
case your power goes off. For free, it's pure rocket science. You can
show that to your Windows Network Server using friends and make them eat
worms. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html