package dia seems useless

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 03:25:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 11/25/2012 07:16 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > I had hoped 'dia' had improved in the few years since I last sampled it,
> > but I find it has not.
> > I can struggle through a lot of bugs, but the killer for me was the
> failure
> > of "undo".  I tried a scaling operation and when it made everything
> > useless, there was no return.  I won't use software for
> > anything I care about when it requires me to save all the time just to
> keep
> > that software from
> > destroying my work.
> >
> > Sigh.
> >
> > Does anyone know a better tool for drawing flowcharts?
>
> Several years? How about June 2012:
>
> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/258863>
> [What program for authoring flowcharts -  Kevin O'Gorman | 12 Jun 02:54]
>     <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/258878>
> ====
> >  Steve Flynn | 12 Jun 16:26
> > Picon
> > Re: What program for authoring flowcharts
> >
> > On 12 June 2012 15:15, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Impressive, but only one of them strikes me as even vaguely
> flowchart-like.
> >> I'll be sure to remember this for graphs, though.
> >
> > OpenOffice Draw is being suggested around me, but we're a Visio shop
> > so I can't tell you how good / bad it is. Tried that?
> >
> > Yed perhaps? http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html

Oh, pipe down, NoOp.  I asked once before and didn't get any answers I
wanted to use; I don't remember for sure why I didn't go to yEd then, but I
didn't. I remeber having trouble using some of these for flowcharts.  I
didn't keep notes.  Perhaps I was holding out for open-source which I
usually prefer.  Now I have a more pressing need, and I'm using yEd anyway
and I love it.

The several years was to when I actually seriously tried Dia and gave up.

Why does it matter enough to you to try to catch me out?

--
Kevin O'Gorman