How best to set up a separate /home partition, and pros/cons

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 25 21:51:31 UTC 2012

On 25 November 2012 19:20, John D. Herron <paradox.herron at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> Currently running Ubuntu Natty pre-installed on a stand-alone machine
> (Dual-core AMD Athlon 255, 4 GB RAM, 1TB HDD).
>
> Since I have a lot of unused disk space I'd like to add and try out some
> other distros (Linux Mint 13, Zorin OS, ...).
>
> In order to keep things 'streamlined' (i.e. to avoid unnecessary
> duplications) I'm looking into setting up a separate /home partition to
> serve the future distros as well.
>
> Is this a reasonable idea? If so, how should I best go about it?

I think it is not a good idea to try and share a home folder between
different versions of ubuntu never mind between different distros.
You will have different versions of applications on the two systems
trying to use the same configuration and data files.  Moving from a
earlier version to a later should not be a problem, but if you try to
the same with different distributions may be even worse as they may
have conflicting requirements in files in the home directory.

Colin