Unscheduled unattended boot

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 24 20:43:22 UTC 2012

On 11/24/2012 04:28 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I upgraded my youngest son's HP desktop machine to Quantal & now, for
> some unknown reason, it boots up at 06:30 every morning (I found out the
> time of the boot after hearing its start-up password prompt when walking
> past his bedroom door).
>
> It happens every morning & I had been blaming him for it (I've got the
> whole home LAN monitored by Nagios & all machines except mine are
> powered off by via cron at 22:00 each night so I see its upstate from
> Nagios every morning) but one this particular morning when I heard it
> boot, he was fast asleep.
>
> There's nothing installed like gwakeonlan or similar & I'm at a loss to
> explain it. Both my wife & other two children are using Precise & they
> do not have this particular problem.

You don't need gwakeonlan for the port to be triggered, or system power
on.

Double check:

$ sudo apt-get intall ethtool
(if you don't already have it installed)
$ sudo ethtoool ethx (x = 0,1,2 etc)

Check:
	Supports Wake-on:
	Wake-on:

$man ethtool:
<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/ethtool.8.html>
 wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d...
              Sets Wake-on-LAN options.  Not all devices  support  this.
  The argument  to  this  option  is a string of characters specifying
              which options to enable.

              p   Wake on PHY activity
              u   Wake on unicast messages
              m   Wake on multicast messages
              b   Wake on broadcast messages
              a   Wake on ARP
              g   Wake on MagicPacket™
              s   Enable SecureOn™ password for MagicPacket™
              d   Disable (wake on  nothing).   This  option
                  clears all previous options.

If 'Wake-on' is set to anything other than 'd':
$ sudo ethtool -s eth(x) d
will turn it off.

If 'Supports Wake-on' shows anything in addition to 'g' and 's' (i.e.,
pumba), then WOL can be triggered without a "MagicPacket™".

You might also want to check acpi wakeup:
/proc/acpi/wakeup
<http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How-to:Enable_Wake-On-Device_for_Ubuntu>

Anything in the logs?