Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 24 08:15:06 UTC 2012

On 23 November 2012 23:01, volker <v.kempter at pe.tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> thatwas my reply to your post:
>
> "I believe that it is possible to update using a live CD/USB image.  If
> so then, rather than pinning the kernel, could one make a non-pae
> 12.10 image as described in the link, then use that to upgrade from
> 12.04 to 12.10 on the target machine?"

To which you replied, recovering it from your previous message:

> In principle, you could install the 3.5 non-PAE kernel under lubuntu 12.04.
> However, when doing then the upgrade 12.04 ->12.10, the system will most
> likely try to install the PAE version of the 3.5 kernel.
> Thus, to me, it appears safer, also with this method, to do kernel pinning
> during the upgrade.

I may be missing something but the link you provided [1] provides
instructions for making a 12.10 installation image so that for a clean
non-pae 12.10 install one can just use that CD.  My point was that I
understood that it is possible to perform an upgrade from 12.04 to
12.10 by fetching data from a 12.10 image rather than online (though I
have not confirmed that this is possible).  If that is correct then
could one perform the upgrade using the non-pae image rather than
doing it online, and hence upgrade directly to the non-pae kernel?

Colin

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~webtom/+junk/linux-image-i386-non-pae