dhcpd trouble shooting utilities

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 20 16:41:04 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 20 November 2012 11:36:24 Patrick Asselman did opine:

> On 2012-11-19 20:36, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I gave the missus a Nook Color a year ago for Christmas, set it up to
> > access my AP here in the house & even bought a book at the time.
> >
> > But then, since she uses the crossword generator in it more than
> > anything
> > else, I disabled the radio to save on the battery life, which w/o the
> > radio
> > can be a couple weeks.
> >
> > But, I turned the radio back on, and while the nookcolor does appear
> > negotiate the WPA2-PSK password stored just fine, but then reports
> > that
> > dhcp is running forever.
> >
> > So my question is, do we have any tools to analyze the dhcpd traffic
> > and
> > show me whats wrong?  AFAIK its working for my lappy, but it, from
> > where it
> > normally lives in the shop, would be coming in thru another wirelass
> > AP in
> > the shop, so its requests for dhcp service would actually be coming
> > into
> > what I think is the only active server here via the routers WAN port,
> > not
> > the radio.
> >
> > There is so much to know about this its easy to lose track of the
> > tree in
> > all this forest of networking stuffs.  I suspect that somehow, in
> > attempting to improve the caching of dns lookups on this, the main
> > machine,
> > and have somehow managed to have it issuing a dhcpd response that
> > clashes
> > with the intended server in this router/AP.
> >
> > But I need to tool to analyze this.
> >
> > Thanks folks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> In the tradition of this mailing list I should probably advise you to
> take a different approach, but I'll leave that for others.
>
> Wireshark can do it:
> http://wiki.wireshark.org/DHCP

Would that not need a working 802-11B/G card in this box just to do the
snooping?  I have one, but have never succeeded in making it work, in this
box.

I could be wrong, but what I think I should be looking at is the .255
broadcast channel on the LAN.  I am it appears negotiating the AP security
just fine, and its the dhcp that is failing.

But I'll take a look at it later today.

Thanks Patrick.
> Best of luck,
> Patrick.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You will be singled out for promotion in your work.