2 pane, swiss army knife file manager?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 20 01:28:32 UTC 2012

On Monday 19 November 2012 20:20:27 Kaj Haulrich did opine:

> On 11/19/2012 07:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, 32 bit, installed on a quad core Phenom.
> >
> > A decade back, midnight commander, aka mc, was _the_ tool of choice.
> > Stable, extremely capable with a builtin ftp client/server, one could
> > literally move a file from anyplace on the planet to anyplace else on
> > the planet if you knew the passwords for those places.
> >
> > Then 3 or 4 years ago we suddenly had Krusader, but it turned out to
> > be unstable, and missing 90% of mc's abilities, so we panned it
> > without mercy as a pretty face with nothing behind it.  Rather than
> > fix it, it seem to have been dropped.
> >
> > In the meantime, the os around mc has matured but mc is stagnant not
> > getting the needed TLC and updates to keep pace, and slowly bit
> > rotting away.  Here, it is not a bit unusual to have its qui
> > destroyed to the point that you are forced to guess where the lower
> > bars F10 button may be just to quit it and restart it later to
> > restore the ncurses gui it uses since some genius has seen fit to
> > grab the F10 key to open some menu that has nothing to do with mc.
> >
> > Its like your car is dripping antifreeze, and your pet, unknown to you
> > is licking it up since its sweet to them, but it is not pretty to
> > watch an antifreeze poisoned pet die, which is essentially the
> > present situation with mc.
> >
> > I just spent an hour scanning for 2 pane file managers in the synaptic
> > ALL listing without finding anything but mc.
> >
> > So, what are we supposed to use today?
>
> Two split-view, graphic file managers with lots of functionality:
> 1. dolphin (KDE-based, runs on all *buntus)

Dolphin looks like it could be usable.  Can I script it for oddball
functions that only show up in certain directories?  That could be useful.

> 2. emelfm2 (X/gtk-based, runs on all *buntus)

This one says its in universe, presently is not configured.
Configure line to add to 10.04.4 LTS sources.list please?

> Regards
> Kaj Haulrich.

Thanks Kaj.

Cheers, Gene