2 pane, swiss army knife file manager?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 19 22:12:30 UTC 2012

On Monday 19 November 2012 16:56:07 Felix Miata did opine:

> On 2012-11-19 15:56 (GMT-0500) Gene Heskett composed:
> > Felix Miata did opine:
> >> Try http://silk.apana.org.au/fclftp.html if MC and Krusader aren't to
> >> your liking.
> >
> > And that link is stuck in a a spawning loop that will force a reboot I
> > believe.
> >
> > Booby traps, gotta love them. NOT!
>
> I opened it before sending. From that page:

Sorry, it effectively took my system down, only contained by the OOM killer
I assume.  My task bar at the bottom of the screen filled up with little
launcher boxes that quickly shrank to about about 1/8" wide each, and htop
didn't want to show me the tree of the guilty party so I could cut off its
head.  Reboots take around 15 minutes here because of all the screen moves
I have to do and utilities I have to restart to bring this system back to
its normal level of automation.  I have started the microsd write and will
not jeapordize that, as its a 2+ hour write.

> Debian Repository
>
> Users of Debian based Linux systems (including Ubuntu) can stay up to
> date by adding the File Commander repository to their sources list.
>
>      So that package integrity can be verified, download the File
> Commander public key and add it to your system using either "sudo
> apt-key add" or Synaptic Package Manager
> (Settings/Repositories/Authentication/Import Key File). Add the line
>
>      deb http://silk.apana.org.au/debian lenny main

lenny, this is 10.04.4 LTS?  Anybody can name this stuff, I've always gone
by the version numbers myself and have made no real effort to remember a
given releases "nick".

>      to your /etc/apt/sources.list either by editing it directly or
> using something like Synaptic Package Manager
> (Settings/Repositories/Other Software/Add)

This doesn't worry me since I won't hit/use that site again after that
attack, but I sure wish I could get a key file from the LibreOffice site,
synaptic's incessant mewling about that, and the LibreOffice menu modifier.
Anything I attempt to do with synaptic involves closing a minimum of 4 of
those popups before its done. PIMA.

That however, is rightfully a separate thread.

Thanks Felix.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Killing is stupid; useless!
		-- McCoy, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8