2 pane, swiss army knife file manager?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 19 21:21:57 UTC 2012

On Monday 19 November 2012 16:19:34 Jim Byrnes did opine:

> On 11/19/2012 12:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, 32 bit, installed on a quad core Phenom.
> >
> > A decade back, midnight commander, aka mc, was _the_ tool of choice.
> > Stable, extremely capable with a builtin ftp client/server, one could
> > literally move a file from anyplace on the planet to anyplace else on
> > the planet if you knew the passwords for those places.
> >
> > Then 3 or 4 years ago we suddenly had Krusader, but it turned out to
> > be unstable, and missing 90% of mc's abilities, so we panned it
> > without mercy as a pretty face with nothing behind it.  Rather than
> > fix it, it seem to have been dropped.
> >
> > In the meantime, the os around mc has matured but mc is stagnant not
> > getting the needed TLC and updates to keep pace, and slowly bit
> > rotting away.  Here, it is not a bit unusual to have its qui
> > destroyed to the point that you are forced to guess where the lower
> > bars F10 button may be just to quit it and restart it later to
> > restore the ncurses gui it uses since some genius has seen fit to
> > grab the F10 key to open some menu that has nothing to do with mc.
> >
> > Its like your car is dripping antifreeze, and your pet, unknown to you
> > is licking it up since its sweet to them, but it is not pretty to
> > watch an antifreeze poisoned pet die, which is essentially the
> > present situation with mc.
> >
> > I just spent an hour scanning for 2 pane file managers in the synaptic
> > ALL listing without finding anything but mc.
> >
> > So, what are we supposed to use today?
> >
> > Thanks folks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Hitting F3 using Nautilus will toggle between 1 and 2 paned mode.
>
> Regards,  JIm

Got that, looks like its working, but 2h:11M to copy an 8G file to a
mounted sdcard sure seems excessive.  And I'll bet I'm doing it wrong I
should be using dd, sure as...  Its an image file to root a nookcolor.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
<Knghtbrd> It's a trackball for one
<wichert> so it's not a rodent
<wichert> it's a turd with a ball sticking out
<wichert> which you fondle constantly