external USB disk

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 14:01:42 UTC 2012

On 19 November 2012 12:39, R Kimber <richardkimber at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Thanks for replying.  No, there's been  no firmware patch.  I removed the

USB cable for a while and it stopped spinning up.  Now that I've replace
> it, it has started again.

OK - so it's something in the machine then. I'm not at an Ubuntu box at the
moment (at work) so I can't check anything on my machine, but hopefully
someone else on the list will be able to scope out what automounter runs by
default. Something is waking the drive up every 5 minutes, presumably
checking to see what it is, what it's called, the SMART status and suchlike
and whether it should be automatically mounted.

Perhaps the section on automount at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB might be of use.

--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people
suffer from a delusion it is called religion.