which GUI?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 19 10:33:50 UTC 2012

On 19 November 2012 09:31, Patrick Asselman <iceblink at seti.nl> wrote:
> On 2012-11-19 10:40, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Open some php files, edit them, save them. (Advice on a nice editor for
>>> this
>>> is also welcome).
>>

>> For editting files you could edit them from the PC using an ssh
>> connection to access the files.  Then the user can use his favourite
>> Windows editor.
>

> Yes but this is cumbersome, especially if you are tracking down a bug and
> need to open several php files, include files, config files. (Unless you are
> thinking of some other method than sftp download, edit, sftp upload, test,
> etc ?)

It should be possible to mount the remote directory in windows.  I
don't know the best way to do this currently but there are tools such
as http://www.swish-sftp.org/ that integrate into win explorer I
believe so it looks as if the files are local.

>>> Maybe do some stuff in MySQL.
>>

>> Again, could you use remote access to the mysql server?  Alternatively
>> web based access such as phpmyadmin (I know there are some security
>> issues with this but I imagine there may be alternatives).
>> Alternatively again, if they are using command line mysql then no gui
>> is required.  Just ssh into the server.
>

> "Just ssh into the server" gives a command line prompt. This is no good for
> the Windows people. They need to be able to point, select, click ;-) Yes
> phpmyadmin is an option, but again, if you are hunting down some error, you
> just want to log in and have access to various tools, not 'poke through some
> ssh hole without being able to see what you are doing'. (I actually love to
> do things by command line myself, and prefer it over any graphical settings
> window... but this is not about me).

What graphical mysql tools do you want them to use.  It may well have
an https interface.

>>> Install software (i.e. click "proceed" for a few dozen times).
>>

>> Not sure at all what you mean by this.
>

> Some software comes with a graphical installer. You mount the cd (or the
> image), the graphical installer program starts. You agree to the terms and
> conditions, maybe do some settings, the installer does its thing and exits.
>
>> Colin
>

> I have to say, I feel we are diverging from the original question somewhat.

Probably because that may not be the best way to go, but if you do
want to vnc in to a lightweight windows manager then LXDE is probably
a good contender.  Installing lubuntu-desktop will probably do it,
though I have never done that on a server install so you might like to
get confirmation of that from others.

Colin