which GUI?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 09:21:22 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 03:00 AM, Patrick Asselman wrote:
> Okay I'm hoping to get some solid advice here, after I heard that you
> even advise on emptying anal glands...
>
> Ubuntu server 12.04.1 LTS
> Running on a server in a rack at some hosting company
> No physical access to the machine
> Some people need to get access to do stuff on there, but they don't
> really know Linux, so I need a GUI for them
> The GUI will only work via some remote desktop type system
>
> What is the best to install on this system? I'm thinking of some light
> weight no-nonsense window manager with a graphical login front-end,
> something that transports well via VNC (or some other system that you
> may recommend?). If it feels MS-Windows-like, that is a plus (because
> the only users of this GUI will be the ones that don't know Linux).

What applications are you running on that server? A lot of server
applications will allow you to just use https for an admin login screen
via a browser. That makes remote applications easy-peasy. I'm running a
Proxmox server that uses Debian server and TurnKey Linux application
containers. It's mighty slick and easy to use. Even the server is
admin-ed remotely.  Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html