Formatting SD Memory Cards

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:48:23 UTC 2012

On 16 November 2012 10:56, Graham Todd <grahamtodd2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:46:39 -0500
> Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Ahh, here we go:
>> http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/connect/dsc/dmc_fz10.html
>> It appears that this camera doesn't like 4GB cards.
>
> That's the answer: thanks Dave.
>
> Curious that: it should be in the manual but I've looked through it
> time and again and can't find it.  And yes, I can confirm it works with
> a 2 gig card!

Also note:

2GB is the maximum size of a standard FAT16 filesystem. Bigger
requires FAT32. Some devices only support FAT16 and cannot read/write
FAT32.

It is extremely unlikely to work but there is a tiny tiny chance that
if you format the first 2GB of your cards as FAT126, they might work.
You will lose half the space but it might be worth a shot.

But any self-respecting technical type ought to know about FAT16
versus FAT32 and SD versus SDHC! :¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884