Formatting SD Memory Cards

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 10:51:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:34:24 -0500
Bill Stanley <bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure of what device you want to do the formatting.  The
> computer is the wrong device to do this.  The formatting should be
> done by the camera and not the computer.  There has to be somewhere
> in the camera to do the proper formatting.
>
> Bill Stanley

There is Bill.  Its the Format option from the Menu, but as long as the
card is in the camera, it won't allow me access to the Menu.

What I need is a method of formatting my card so the camera recognises
the card and so can properly format it.

Michael Coll-Barth has suggested I try:

mkdosfs -F 32 -v (device name) where
device name is your SD card name found when doing a df

I'll give it a go and let the list know my results.

In the meantime, do you know of any software which could provide me
with a "clean" format so I could reformat it with the camera?

--Graham Todd