don't show usernames

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 16 03:53:39 UTC 2012

On 11/15/2012 01:33 PM, Wes James wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/2012 10:42 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> > On 11/14/2012 02:30 PM, Wes James wrote:
>> > I can't replicate (with GNOME Classic, GNOME, Unity, Unity 2D desktops
>> > installed). When I mistype the username, I am prompted for a password, I
>> > then either type a wrong password, or simply hit return & I get the
>> > 'Login - invalid password, please try again|Username'. Even though it is
>> > says 'invalid password' the input box says "Username"; enter the correct
>> > username, then correct password when prompted logs me into my desktop of
>> > choice. Greeter is unity-greeter:
>> >
>> > $ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
>> >
>> > [SeatDefaults]
>> > user-session=gnome-classic
>> > greeter-session=unity-greeter
>> >
>> > Xubuntu also uses an additional greeter: lightdm-gtk-greeter:
>> > <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm-gtk-greeter>
>> > So perhaps the issue is there?
>>
>> I just installed xubuntu-desktop, and I still can't replicate in xubuntu
>> or xfce sessions:
>>
>> $ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
>>
>> [SeatDefaults]
>> user-session=gnome-classic
>> greeter-session=unity-greeter
>> greeter-hide-users=true
>>

> This is what I have in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
>
> [SeatDefaults]
> greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
> user-session=xubuntu
> greeter-hide-users=true
> allow-guest=false

Change to unity-greeter & file a bug on lightdm-gtk-greeter. That is
what is causing your problem. I changed to mirror your lightdm.conf and
encountered the problem. Changed it back to:
$ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
# user-session=gnome-classic
greeter-session=unity-greeter
# greeter-hide-users=true
# greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
user-session=xubuntu
greeter-hide-users=true
allow-guest=false

and the problem goes away. Note: they split lightdm-gtk-greeter out from
lightdm awhile back, so who knows what they've done since...