How do I get Ubuntu terminal prompt in Windows 7 with VMware Player

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 12:32:19 UTC 2012

On 14 November 2012 23:00, R J <rj201244 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed VMware Player on my Windows 7 PC. Now I downloaded ubuntu
> (ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso) software from
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop . I installed ubuntu via the
> instruction at
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11287/how-to-run-ubuntu-in-windows-7-with-vmware-player/
> .
> It is version Ubuntu 12.04 (I switched from 12.10 to 12.04). Now I have the
> ubuntu installed and it shows up in the left corner when I double-click on
> VMWare Player icon.
> How do I get the UNIX like prompt in ubuntu here? I tried all icons but I
> find no ways. The documentation in the above link shows there are
> "Applications" ->"Accessories"->"Terminal" menus that takes it to the UNIX
> like terminal. But I do not see such options.
>
> I have uploaded the screenshots at bit.ly/ZqAGD7 . I removed Ubuntu 12.10
> and installed the previous version 12.04 (ubuntu-12.04.1-desktop-i386.iso)
> and ended up with the identical screens. Could you suggest how I get to the
> terminal? Thanks a lot.

Single-left-click the Dash button - the top one on the launcher/dock
thing at left, with the Ubuntu logo on it - and type "term" and click
the Terminal icon below the text-entry box.

Or, press the Windows key, type "term" in the box and click the icon.

Or, press Ctrl-Alt-t.

Or, press Alt-f2, enter "xterm" and hit Return.*

Also see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal#In_Gnome

*"xterm" is not the default terminal app but I can't remember the name
and it should work.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884