upgrade issues 11.04 to 12.04?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Nov 14 06:46:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:39:48PM -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have a Samsung N220 with a Realtek RTL8192E radio and am using
> 11.04 more or less successfully. Radio is a bit sensitive to
> contention from other users and to some degree with router brand -
> linksys works best. I've been getting update messages about end of
> life for this version. I don't want to use unity and it seems as if
> I could upgrade to 12.04 and get LTS, which will probably outlast
> the computer, and IIUC I could install gnome-shell and get the
> classic desktop, which I prefer. Does anyone have experience to
> bring to bear on -

gnome-shell is not a classic desktop (but it's a brilliant replacement
that you might like, if you give it a chance).

> can I upgrade in one step from 11.04 to 12.04?

No, you need to upgrade in two steps: 11.04 -> 11.10, then 11.10 ->
12.04.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

> any impact on wifi driver reliability?

I've no data one way or another.

> will classic be LTS as well as the rest of the distro?

Classic what?

Marius Gedminas
--
If you can't understand it, it is intuitively obvious.