upgrade issues 11.04 to 12.04?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Tue Nov 13 20:39:48 UTC 2012

I have a Samsung N220 with a Realtek RTL8192E radio and am using 11.04
more or less successfully. Radio is a bit sensitive to contention from
other users and to some degree with router brand - linksys works best.
I've been getting update messages about end of life for this version.
I don't want to use unity and it seems as if I could upgrade to 12.04
and get LTS, which will probably outlast the computer, and IIUC I
could install gnome-shell and get the classic desktop, which I prefer.
Does anyone have experience to bring to bear on -

can I upgrade in one step from 11.04 to 12.04?
any impact on wifi driver reliability?
will classic be LTS as well as the rest of the distro?

THanks,

Dave

--
If all the advertising in the world were to shut down tomorrow, would people
still go on buying more soap, eating more apples, giving their children more

--- Dorothy L Sayers, in Murder Must Advertise