why would my onboard SD/MMC reader suddenly stop working?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Nov 11 12:43:49 UTC 2012

  currently, on my ASUS G74S laptop, i get absolutely no activity when
i insert a perfectly valid SD card.  used to be, it would be mounted
automatically -- now ... nothing.

  i've rolled my own kernels for quite some time, and i just keep
using the same .config.  i've checked the kernel config options, and
pretty much everything under SD/MMC is selected as modules.

  i've tailed the kern.log file, i've put udev in monitor mode trying
to figure out if *anything* recognizes that an SD card has been
inserted and nothing so far.  the mmc_block module is currently
loaded.

  am i just stupidly missing something obvious?  i mean, besides the
reader itself being actually broken?

  off to experiment some more ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca